San Blas Islands, Panama
Renowned for their crystal clear waters and stretches of white sand, the San Blas Islands are exactly what you are looking for if you are searching for a hidden paradise, lost in time. The archipelago is made up of 365 picture-postcard islands scattered just off the coast of Panama. More than 300 of the islands are uninhabited, all are coated in coconut palms, and most are too small for Google maps to bother with. The cheerful inhabitants of the island network are known as the Kuna, an indigenous people of Panama who embrace a deep connection with their customs, culture, and independence. To experience this part of the world is to enter another realm of being, to measure your days with the rise and fall of the sun and to learn to appreciate the whispers of sea birds floating on warm Caribbean currents.
Please note: this private tour to Panama is an example, as all of our luxury journeys are custom-made.
Panama City (2 nights)
Following your international arrival into Panama City airport, your personal host will take you on a 30 minute transfer to your hotel located in the Casco Viejo (Spanish for Old Quarter). Settled in 1673, the Casco Viejo was built following the near-total destruction of the original Panamá city, Panamá Viejo in 1671, when the latter was attacked by pirates. It was designated a World Heritage Site in 1997. Enjoy your first afternoon and evening exploring these quaint streets with your expert guide and dining in a trendy Panamanian restaurant.
The following day will be orientated around the Panama Canal where you will get a hands-on feel for the canal’s history, economic importance and engineering brilliance. Your day will begin with tours of the canal’s head administrative building and the old barracks where the American workers used to live. You will then be taken on a VIP tour of the canal with a local expert at the Miraflores Lock. Here you will have exclusive access to view the ships up close and personal as they change levels via the locks, making their journey from the Atlantic to the Pacific.
Spend your afternoon at the innovative biodiversity museum designed by “starchitect” Frank Gehry. The colorful origami-like canopies were designed in reference to the richly diverse flora and fauna of Panama, one of the most biodiverse places in the world. The museum is prominently sited on the highly visible Amador Causeway at the Pacific mouth of the Panama Canal.
San Blas Islands (3 nights)
The morning starts with a private transfer to the domestic airport located 10 minutes away from your hotel. From here you will board a 30 minute private flight to your remote landing strip located within the San Blas archipelago. You will be met at the landing strip and taken by small dingy to your catamaran.
The San Blas islands are what dreams are made of: white sandy beaches and palm trees, this is a place where you come to get away from it all. Your days will be spent admiring the tranquility of these picture-postcard locations, swimming in the crystal clear water, taking the kayaks out, fishing for Barracuda for your evening dinners and learning the culture of the native Kuna people.
Your highly experienced captain will take you to some of the hidden treasures found in this idyllic archipelago. The captain will build your itinerary around your preferences and the weather conditions. The two main areas where we recommend spending most of your time at are the Cayos Holandes and Coco Bandero. While at the archipelago, you will have an attentive crew ready to assist with your every need. Enjoy meals prepared at your service: fresh fish, octopus or lobster bought from local fisherman you’ve passed by as you wind through the islands. In the late afternoons, relax with a champagne/cocktail hour before you witness some of the world’s best stargazing from your spectacularly remote position in the San Blas islands.
- Boquete – Set in the cool fertile highlands close to the border of Costa Rica, Boquete is an ideal destination for hiking in the jungle, bird watching, as well as visiting the coffee plantations where some of the world’s best coffee is being produced.
- Azuero Peninsula on the Pacific Coast – Stay in a private, exclusive estate on a peninsula surrounded by the Pacific Ocean and the rainforest. This is a perfect escape for active families looking for total privacy and luxury.
- Boca del Toro – Enjoy complete privacy at an exclusive villa set on pilings overhanging the Caribbean, and surrounded by unspoiled nature with no other neighbors in sight.
- Casco Viejo
- Panama Canal
- San Blas Islands
Insider AccessPanama City
- VIP tour of the Panama Canal – get up close and personal with the boats through their journey down the canal
- Optional helicopter / yachting tour of the canal
- Private air to a remote landing strip in the San Blas archipelago
- Private catamaran with crew
- Exclusive itinerary designed by Blue Parallel
- Best time to go
- Recommended Stay
- Price Reference
(6 Days, Private party of 2)
- Price Reference
(6 Days, Private party of 4)
- Price Reference
(6 Days, Private party of 6)
- December > April
- 6-8 Days
- Starting at $9,500
- Starting at $6,500
- Starting at $5,500
Note: Prices will vary based on the specifics of your itinerary.
What is included in your luxury tour to Panama:
- Luxury accommodations at:
- American Trade Hotel, Panama City
- Luxury catamaran, San Blas Islands
- Private round trip air from Panama City to a small landing strip within the San Blas Islands
- Services of Blue Parallel hosts and private specialized crew and guides throughout the journey
- All special events, private guided tours, private excursions, private outdoor activities, entrance fees
- Continual monitoring of your journey by a Blue Parallel team composed of a personal travel expert in our offices, and a personal host in each destination. In addition, a "behind the scenes" logistical expert is staffed on each trip in order to monitor every step of the journey. The team is on call 24- hours a day during a trip
- All transportation and private transfers
- Most meals
- A Blue Parallel customized travel kit that you will receive prior to departure