Luxury Tour Machu Picchu, Peru
Ever dreamed of a spectacular journey into the past where you can discover the hidden treasures of one of the most fascinating civilizations on Earth? At 8,200 feet above sea level and covering over five square miles, the Machu Picchu ruins overlook a lush rainforest in the heart of the Peruvian Andes. In July 1911, a young North American expedition leader from Yale University, Hiram Bingham, announced that he had found "The lost city of the Incas". This exceptional site is a remarkable remnant of the Inca Empire at the height of its glory, and the extraordinary harmony between its natural and cultural elements make it a "must-see" place in a lifetime.
Please note: this private tour to Peru is an example, as all of our luxury journeys are custom-made.
Lima (1 night)
Evening international flight arrival in Lima where you will begin your luxury trip through Peru. You will be greeted by your personal host and taken to your hotel, which is conveniently located across the street from the terminal.
Sacred Valley (2 nights)
You will be assisted with check-in for your flight to Cusco the following morning. Upon arrival, you will be greeted by your personal guide who will show you the best of the Sacred Valley. You will be taken in private to the elegant Hacienda Huayoccari for a multi-course Peruvian lunch in the historic dining room surrounded by colonial art. Afterwards, you may choose to go horseback riding along local trails on Peruvian paso horses, a unique breed offering one of the smoothest rides of any horse. You will be awe-inspired by the spectacular views of the Andes and the lush greenery of the agricultural farms of the valley. Alternatively, you can experience a Shaman meditation ceremony especially arranged for your party following lunch. Continue on to your lodge in the afternoon, located in the heart of the Sacred Valley, to relax at leisure.
The next day on your luxury tour of Peru, you will be taken by private transfer to the village of Cruzpata where you will embark on an exciting mountain biking excursion to the terraced ruins of Moray. As you bike over the rolling hills of the valley, you will witness Peruvian rural life passing by local families working their corn and other vegetable fields. Along the way, stop at a secluded spot facing the impressive Andes and enjoy a spectacular gourmet picnic lunch. Continue biking to the ruins of Moray, and once there enjoy a privately guided visit with your personal expert guide. From Moray, you will be taken by private transfer to Maras – a pre-Incan site which has continuously produced salt for centuries and is divided into over 3,000 salt pools harvested today by local families. Following the salt terraces, you will be taken into the village of Maras to an exclusive house where you can enjoy a private class to learn how to make a pisco sour – a famous local cocktail. You will then be transferred back to your lodge to rest before your luxury travel to Machu Picchu the following morning.
Machu Picchu (2 nights)
Experience an awe-inspiring train ride along the towering Andes and the Quechua-speaking villages of the Sacred Valley as you begin your luxury tour of Machu Picchu. You will either leave the train at kilometer 104 and hike the last portion of the Inca Trail with your personal guide (passing through the Gate of the Sun) or take the luxurious Hiram Bingham train all the way to Aguas Calientes, near Machu Picchu.
On this luxury trip to Machu Picchu, discover the spectacular ruins and check in to the Machu Picchu Sanctuary Lodge, an exclusive lodge overlooking the ruins and surrounded by gardens. Alternatively, stay at the luxurious Inkaterra Machu Picchu Hotel, nestled between steep mountain walls of lush Andean greenery in the valley below the ruins. You will enjoy well-deserved spa treatments and gourmet meals, wander in the ruins, nature walks, trek to the Temple of the Moon or up Machu Picchu Mountain, and, from above the clouds, you will enjoy the surreal vistas of the Andes' peaks reaching for the sky.
Cusco (2 nights)
Continue your luxury travel of Peru as you take the train back to the Sacred Valley where you will be privately escorted to Cusco, the city of the "Children of the Sun". Along the way, stop in Urubamba to enjoy lunch at Wayra for traditional Peruvian food in the open-air and to enjoy a Paso Horse show while you have lunch. Before reaching Cusco, stop at the Chinchero Weaving Center to meet the Callanaupa family and learn about traditional Peruvian weaving.
In Cusco, you will have the choice of three luxury hotels: Palacio Nazarenas, a former palace and convent in the 16th century; Monasterio Hotel, a monastery that was originally built in 1592 by descendants of the Spanish Conquistadores; or La Casona, a 16th century manor house, restored as an 11-suite luxury hotel.
The following day, enjoy breakfast with a scholar as he explains the rich history of the Incas, and later visit the famed Cusco Central Market. Afterwards, depart on a private guided tour of the main attractions of Cusco including the Plaza de Armas, the Cathedral, the Company of Jesus Church, La Merced Church, and the Museum of Religious Art located in the Archbishop’s palace. Later, enjoy a private music demonstration by a local musician in the beautiful chapel of the Monasterio Hotel where you will learn about the many different string, wind, and percussion instruments from various Peruvian civilizations dating back to pre-Incan times. For your evening, Cusco has an active nightlife with many different restaurants, each with its own unique style.
On this morning, journey off the beaten track to the outskirts of Cusco to explore the Baroque churches that are part of the rich and diverse culture of Peru. You will first visit the quiet village of Huaro to see the St. John the Baptist Church, and later visit St. Peter’s Apostle Church in Andhuaylillas to witness the impressive architecture and gold-leaf design. While there, enjoy exclusive access to a secret staircase that leads up to one of the oldest organs in South America dating back to 1626 and walk up to the bell-tower with picturesque views of the small town.
Afterwards, head back to Cusco. Along the way, stop in the town of Pinimpampa, the largest producer of Cusco’s famous handmade tiles—the same tiles that have lines the roofs of Cusco’s houses for hundreds of years. Enjoy lunch in Cusco and later depart for the airport for your international flight back home via Lima. While in Lima, enjoy a day-check at the airport hotel next door before departing on your late evening flight.
- Spend time in the increasingly sophisticated city of Lima where you can visit the main landmarks including the Larco Museum and the central Plaza de Armas anchored by the Government Palace, the Cathedral, the Archbishop’s Palace, the City Hall, the Cloister of San Francisco, and the private Aliaga Mansion. If you have extra time, visit the ruins of Pachacamac an archaeological site 25 miles southeast of Lima. Most of the common buildings and temples were built c. 800-1450 CE, shortly before the arrival and conquest by the Inca Empire.
- Lake Titikaka, the highest navigable lake in the world, renowned for its intense blue waters, fascinating floating islands, and distinct local culture.
- Explore the Peruvian Amazon aboard your luxury cruise and discover remote estuaries in the Peruvian rain forest and the Pacaya Samiria Reserve, which is twice the size of Yellowstone Park. Alternatively, fly to Puerto Maldonaldo and stay at the Inkaterra Reserva Amazonica, an elegantly rustic lodge in the heart of the rainforest.
- Visit the Colca Canyon & Arequipa to witness the majestic flight of the giant Andean condors and the famed "white city," built in the foothills of the Misti Volcano.
- Spend 5 to 8 memorable days aboard your cruise ship in the Galapagos Islands to experience the amazing flora and fauna that inhabit these islands.
- Experience the myriad climates, people and cultures, from coastal Caribbean to the terraced green slopes of the Andes Mountains in Colombia. Whether horseback riding through coffee plantations, hiking through cloud and pine forests, or snorkeling in dazzling crystal clear waters, Colombia offers an array of unforgettable moments.
- The Sacred Valley
- The Inca Trail
- Machu Picchu, the "Lost City of the Incas"
- Cusco, "the Navel of the World"
- Mountain biking
- Horseback riding
- Private meditation ceremony with a Shaman
- Private weaving demonstration by the Callanauapa family
- Cooking classes with acclaimed local chefs
- Gourmet picnics in spectacular natural outdoor settings. Presentation includes proper table setting with fine glassware, a professional waiter, along with exquisitely prepared local dishes
- Chartering of train wagons to/from Machu Picchu
- Meeting with artisans and artists in their workshops, such as Antonio Olave, one of the most important sculptors of 20th century in Peru
- Exclusive access to San Francisco Church for an exceptional, intimate candle-lit gourmet dinner
- Enjoy an exclusive music demonstration with an acclaimed Peruvian musical artist in the chapel of the Monasterio Hotel. Learn about the various string, percussion, and wind instruments the artist has re-created from ancient Peruvian designs
- Exclusive access to the Baroque Churches outside of Cusco where you can see one of the oldest church organs dating back to 1626 and climb to the bell-tower for amazing views
- And much more...
- Best time to go
- Recommended Stay
- Price Reference
(8 Days, Private party of 2)
- March > November
- 5-12 days
- $11,000 - $12,500
Note: Prices will vary based on the specifics of your itinerary.
Parties of 4 or more will benefit from lower prices per passenger.
What is included in your luxury tour to Machu Picchu, Peru:
- Luxury accommodations at
- Wyndham Costa del Sol Hotel or Miraflores Park Hotel (Lima)
- Sol y Luna Lodge or Hotel Rio Sagrado (Sacred Valley)
- Sanctuary Lodge or Machu Picchu Hotel (Machu Picchu)
- Palacio Nazarenas, Hotel Monasterio or La Casona (Cusco)
- Internal flights
- Services of Blue Parallel hosts and private specialized guides throughout the journey
- All special events, private guided tours, private excursions, private outdoor activities, entrance fees
- Continual monitoring of your journey by a Blue Parallel team composed of a personal travel expert in our offices, and a personal host in each destination. In addition, a "behind the scenes" logistical expert is staffed on each trip in order to monitor every step of the journey. The team is on call 24-hours a day during a trip
- All transportation
- Most meals
- A Blue Parallel customized travel kit that you will receive prior to departure